Tuesday, July 03, 2007

All Wet

I've been to so many showers, weddings, etc. that I am soaked! I actually love showers. I love celebrating these monumental and happy times in people's lives. I love sitting around eating finger food and sipping coffee. I love watching the showeree open up the same diaper champ and boppy pillow that I have seen so many times before.

That part I don't like is getting through that awkward planning process. This is when all the ladies close to the showeree attempt to work together to plan a nice event without stepping on toes or offending each other. Don't get me wrong, I love planning in general. I could plan all day long (in fact, that's my job, it's what I do all day). It is the awkwardness of dividing the responsibilities and agreeing on an approach between all the opinionated ladies involved that I don't enjoy.

The whole process makes me feel like I am back in school working on a group project. You all want to get an "A", but you all want to get it your own way. Some people want to work on it 24-hours a day, some people want to throw something together. It is never much fun and most of us would just rather do it ourselves. And all this negotiation, biting our tongues, pushing our agendas happens in short interspersed emails or distant phone conversations. "I was thinking of hand-knitting baby booties and filling them with bottle-shaped candies for the favors" "OK, that's fine.... I guess... I was thinking of making my own paper, forming it into a box, hand stamping it and putting in a single Godiva truffle." "That's OK, too..." "Well, whatever you want is okay." Blah, blah blah...

I may just not play nice with others. All I know, is I will be happy when planning season is all done and I get to enjoy all the new babies and couples that we have sprinkled with love.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Planning is the worst esp. when it is done over e-mail/telephone. Even among good friends is tough... you're right everyone wants it her way!!

smurp said...

how a bachelor party gets planned:
guy 1: "beer and boobs?"
guys 2-10: "sounds good."

florence said...

maybe the women should just try the bachelor party thing??? i guess minus the boobs.

Jen Vogelsong said...

I totally relate to this entry -- been to about a bazillion showers this spring!