Monday, November 06, 2006

My Quest for Automation

How do I know that I am a super geek? Well let me just tell you about the ways I automate my life. I built a database application to plan my wedding. I built software to track all of my contacts, addresses, christmas card lists, remind me of birthdays and the names of my friends's children. I made an application for tracking my recipes, meal plans, generating a weekly menu, and generatting my grocery shopping list.

Now, I don't have my curtains and lights hooked up to a single remote control as some of my geeky electrical engineering friends, but that is only because I don't know how.

I believe that everything that can be automated, should be automated. I would love it if my refrigerator could automatically detect when food has gone bad and throw it out for me. It should buy me a replacement while its at it.

What is such a paradox about who I am is that at the same time, I prefer to make my own candles, crochet my own afghan, and hand craft my own birthday cards. Clearly, it is much less efficient to do these things by hand when there is mass production equipment out there to do these things more quickly and more cheaply.

Maybe it is not such a paradox after all. Maybe I just like to make things. Maybe creating a Meal Planning software is just an electronic manifestation of my need to do crafts. Maybe writing a VBA procedure to email me my grocery list is not so different from figuring out how to do a dcfps (double crochet front post stitch).

1 comment:

smurp said...

I think it makes sense...let all the machines do the organizational tasks so you are free to be creative! My problem is that I like to do the creative stuff and have absolutely zero ability to set up an automated anything (i can't even figure out how to cancel my gym memebership!)