Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Mommy

During this Christmas break, I had the chance to spend a good deal of time with my children, which was wonderful. Children have a way of making you feel so loved and so needed. This is a wonderful thing, but at times this is also overwhelming. All weekend I heard three crying voices
"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!"
"I need you, Mommy!"
"Look, Mommy!"
"Mommy, What's That?"
"Mommy, it's a cow."

I was feeling like I didn't want to be needed, like I just wanted some time to myself. I didn't want to hear "Mommy." But then, I heard something I hadn't before. "Mom, I need a drink of water, Mom."

Since when did my soon-to-be-4-year-old make a switch from "Mommy" to "Mom". Not only did he use it this once, but he seemd to be intentionally making the switch. "Mommy, I'm... MOM, I'm all done."

I was surprised at how I reacted. I felt heartbroken. This represented some kind of a milestone in his life, his growing independence. I was expecting this from a teenager, maybe a 10-year-old - not a 4-year-old!

Now I will cherish every time he slips up and lets out a "Mommy, I need you."

2 comments:

JWords said...

Little Thomas is growing up! Gulp. Good thing you have two more to still call you Mommy!
-jen

Laura said...

That is a milestone... sometimes it's so hard to see them grow up! My nephew used to mispronounce words with "n"'s... button was butnin, curtain was curtnin, etc... the first time he saud those words correctly I wanted to cry!